Search

Sunday 7 October 2018

Apocalyptic Weekend

Everyone knows those times when it seems everything you want to or need to do or are invited to seem to happen at the same time. This weekend in general, but especially yesterday has been one of those times for me. While fun, it can be a bit exhausting. On friday we played D&D for the first time after a pause that had somehow gone on for quite a while. It was a one-shot in which our characters had been hired to protect a local Baron's daughter and then had to rescue her from kidnappers and their employer, an unstable elven sorcerer going by "Paljasjalka" ("Bare foot" in english). I saw this as an opportunity to paint and use one specific mini I had been itching to use but which doesn't really fit into anything else, so I based my character on the mini and painted it earlier during the week.

Yosuzume - an Aarakocra Monk

I don't play any historicals, so I haven't really painted anything this small before. I have some 10 or 15mm (IIRC) samurai that I bought by mistake/deceptive photographing somewhere around, but so far I haven't really had any use for them.

Yesterday was the really hectic day though. One of my friends works at a video game company and she had invited me to attend an event they were holding for friends and family. The NDA was pretty strict so I'm hedging my bets and won't name the company or write more about it besides mentioning that it was cool, and I'm glad I was able to go despite having to leave early. The reason I had to leave early, was that there was a 40K Apocalypse game being run at my FLGS which recently moved into larger premises. I got there during the first turn and my forces (Beholders, some Assassins and a Knight) arrived at the start of the second turn, reinforcing Dark Angels, Imperial Guard and Tyranids. The other side had Orks (WAAAGH!) and Necrons.


Brutal corner of armor, artillery and lascannons. My whirlwind joined these and some of the frontline units were destoryed (that Knight included), but mostly this corner stayed the same for the duration of the game.



3rd turn

3rd turn. Those Lynchguards popped up from a Monolith that got destroyed and proceeded to wipe out my Terminator and Apothecary and badly wound the Dreadnought.

It turns out the Ork players had had most of their heavy stuff exploded before I arrived, so the game wasn't all that close (we won), but it was fun and everyone seemed to be having great time. One of the highlights for me was a Stompa charging (and squishing) my already wounded Callidus Assassin in a spectacular overkill.

"Uh oh"


After the game I had a sauna evening with some friends with sauna (how suprising), grilling, drinking and games on the agenda. We played Secrect Hitler (a consistent favourite), Captain Sonar (new game I'd gotten - the idea is that there's two competing submarines and each player has a distinct role - either Captain, First mate, Engineer or Radist) and Mario Party. Fun was had by all, altough I have to admit atleast I am paying for that fun today.

No comments:

Post a Comment