Search

Wednesday 26 January 2022

Bergioyn of Nagarythe

 

It’s been a while since my last post (understatement of the year). I haven’t been entirely idle during all that time however, and I’ve even gotten semi-regular games of WFB in despite the pandemic. My hobbying has been a bit sporadic though and I haven’t really finished many full projects which has been a contributing factor on the abandonment of this blog. One project I did finish a couple of months ago is the general for my Dark Elf army. An aptly named lord on a menacing dragon! I’m pretty proud of this one too, so I figured I’d write a post about it.

 








The conversion uses the 6th ed metal Carnosaur as a base (the best monster sculpt Citadel has ever released in my opinion) with plastic wings from Balrog of the same era. The rider is Dark Eld Beastmaster with 8th ed Shadow Warrior head, High Elf shield and an “undefined magic weapon” (beastmasters halberd/spear thing converted with Saurus warrior hand weapon). The rock it’s standing on is Greenstuff, Milliput and a couple of rods (some metal spears from Warlord that I had around) that go through the base and into the feet of the Carnosaur. Painting wise the biggest time sink were the scales – it’s not that visible in the photos, but each of them has been individually painted with black base and then progressively smaller highlight circles of dark grey, dark green and bright green. And let me tell you, there’s a lot of scales on that model. The characters on the shield spell out 仇討ち - Adauchi (Vengeance, Revenge, Retaliation), but they ended up a bit too far apart so I may paint a replacement shield at some point. I’m generally not a huge fan of painting larger models (I much prefer infantry) but this one I had a blast with. Took a couple of weeks of working on it almost daily for an hour or a few at a time, but I figured my hateful self-insert deserved some effort put into it. I’m happy with the results that effort yielded too.

So far it’s been deployed in anger once against an alliance of Tomb Kings and Ogre Kingdoms (we had a 2v2 multiplayer game with Dark Elves and Empire – an uneasy alliance if there ever was one – against the aforementioned Tomb Kings and Ogres.), during which I had the idea of recording the General’s deeds. This was in large part due to the excellent showing he had on the battlefield. During their first game Bergioyn of Nagarythe with his dragon (yet to be named):

-          Tried to charge a unit of Ironguts but fell short on the distance.

-          Was charged by unit of 5 Skeletal Light Horsemen and killed them all.

-          Charged and overran a Slaughtermaster and the 3 Bull accompanying him.

-          Charged and overran a Bonegiant.

-          Charged and overran another Bonegiant.

-          Charged and overran a Tomb Chariot (the lone survivor of it’s unit).

-          Was named “Giant Slayer” for his deeds.

We won the match handily. The list of deeds is straight from my note from the game, and I just realised the wording is a bit vague – I don’t remember if there were any actual overruns or if I just thought that sounded cooler than “destroyed”. The Slaughtermaster and the Bulls broke and were caught in the pursuit but the rest were definitely destroyed in combat.

 

About to charge a Bonegiant at the beginning of turn 4


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment