Search

Monday 17 February 2020

"One Mojo found, will be relinguished in exchange for accurate description and location of dissappearance..."

I'm back! I've started painting again, after almost a year without doing much (I wasn't feeling like it at all for some reason). And let me tell you, it feels like I've forgotten a lot more than a years worth. Well, no matter. Chin to the chest and onwards to new dissapointments! I've been mostly testing the contrast paints, partly because I think they have potential and partly because significant portion of my regular paints have dried during my absence (that's my one complaint with Citadel paints - all of the previous ranges had phenomenal longevity and the current ones just die in their bottles when you turn your eyes from them. They're otherwise very nice, but the drying speed really grinds my gears. They're not even all that cheap to begin with, let alone when you have to constantly replace them.) and I've yet to properly assess the situation and restock.

As for what I've painted, a few Space Marines and some Necromunda monopose Goliaths. We're planning on starting a campaign with a few friends of mine, but two people in the group aren't doing their own minis (one is not interested in that aspect of the game, and the other one - while interested - is a student and has other priorities for their disposable income), so the rest of us are doing extra gangs as well.

Three little piggies and the big bad wolf.


There's still much for me to learn in using the contrasts (and relearn in using regular paints), but for the time they take I'm pretty happy with how the infantry tends to turn out. Contrasts and vehicles don't turn out as well though. All the large flat surfaces being the likely reason.

Old school Land Raider - no retro marine force is complete without one


Vindicator. I wouldn't normally include this in the army as it's too modern, but the dozer blade was too good to pass on (and to paint over). Mostly repainted second hand mini.

It's a bit of a dillemma with the vehicles. On one hand, the result isn't all that good, but on the other hand, I’ve never been good at painting vehicles anyway (so difference isn’t massive) nor ever really liked doing them (I've always felt most of the bigger models to be bit of a chore compared to infantry) and it's much faster with contrasts. I painted both the Land Raider and the Vindicator yesterday, while it usually takes me whole weekend or longer for one vehicle with regular paints. A bit worse results much quicker and with less chore-painting, or a bit better (but still bad) results much slower and with more chore-painting? Decisions, decisions. Luckily I can focus on the smaller stuff and leave the vehicles mostly be - two more ready for the army should suffice for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment